On November 2nd, the legendary McRib returned to McDonald's across the country. McRib fans rejoiced. BUT, as every true fan already knows, the sandwich will be pulled from the menu again December 5th.
If you subscribe to the cult of the McRib, don't let McDonald's tease you with this on-again, off-again nonsense. Get even with their flip-floppy ways. Learn to make it yourself.
Saveur's recipe for Barbecue Pork Belly Sandwich with Quick Dill Pickles and Red Onions "reinterprets the McRib using pork belly, which, over the course of a three-hour braise, turns from a three-pound cut into something like the preformed pork patty's blindingly spectacular cousin."
- 2 six-inch white sandwich rolls, split in half
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into batons
For the pork belly:
- 3 lbs. pork belly, trimmed into a 5" x 2.5" rectangle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped1 bay leaf
- 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 cups chicken stock or fresh water
For the pickles:
- 4 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 2 big pinches pickling spices (coriander seeds, bay leaf, peppercorns, dry mustard seeds, fennel and cumin seeds, cloves)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 5– 6 sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
For the BBQ sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. mesquite liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Click through for the full recipe.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.