Sick of the same old turkey sandwich? If you're looking for a change of pace in your sandwich repertoire, try this easy-to-make and delicious Vietnamese sandwich.
What you will need:
• ½ c. of water
• ¼ c. of sugar
• ¼ c. distilled white vinegar
• ½ c. julienned carrot
• ½ c. julienned Daikon radish
• Kosher salt
• 1 tsp. vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
• 6 oz. ground pork
• 1 tbsp. roast pork seasoning mix
• Pinch garlic powder
• Pinch ground black pepper
• 4 10-inch baguettes
• 8 thin slices Vietnamese-style pork roll
• 8 slices salami, ham, or turkey
• 4 tsp.soy sauce
• ½ c. fresh cilantro sprigs
• ¼ medium English cucumber, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
• Ground chicken or turkey (optional)
• Fresh jalapeño slices (optional)
Step 1: Make the slaw
Mix the water, sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix in the carrots and the radish, season with salt, and set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
Step 2: Prepare the seasoned pork
Warm the oil over medium heat in a small skillet, add the onion, and cook until the onion is soft. Add the pork, seasoning, garlic, and pepper, cook for 2 or 3 minutes, and remove from the heat.
Step 3: Prepare the bread for the sandwiches
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place the baguettes in the oven on a baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then take them out, slice them open, and spread on the mayonnaise.
Step 4: Put together the sandwiches
Arrange the pork onto the baguettes. Then add the pork roll, salami, soy sauce, slaw, cilantro, cucumber, and jalapeno, if using. Enjoy immediately!