Baked beans have been a camping favorite, it seems, from the beginning of time, but with this recipe, we take them to a whole new level. Using vegetarian baked beans makes it a super healthy, protein packed, lunch for vegetarians. With a few adjustments, it is a winner with kids as well. This visually appealing open sandwich, with its perfect blend of sweet, tang and spice, is sure to please everyone. Watch this how-to video and learn how to make an Indian style open sandwich with baked beans.
Sandwich Bread - 8 slices
Vegetarian Baked Beans - 1 (16oz can)
Cheese - 8 slices, preferably American
Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
Green Chili - to taste, finely chopped
Onion - 1/2 medium, finely chopped
Lemon Juice - 1/2 tsp or to taste
Cilantro - 2-3 sprigs, finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Salsa or hot sauce - 8 tsp or to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the bread slices flat on a baking/cookie sheet.
3. Bake/toast them in the oven till they are light golden.
4. Flip them around and let them toast on the other side. The bread should be very crisp.
5. In a bowl, mix in the following well: onions, tomatoes, green chili, cilantro, lemon juice and salt.
6. Place a slice of cheese on each of the toasts.
7. Spoon and spread the baked beans (approximately 2 tbsp) over each slice of cheese.
8. Pour the desired amount of salsa/hot sauce over baked beans.
9. Spread the onion, tomato, green chili mixture over the salsa.
10. Place the cookie sheet back in the oven bake for another 5 minutes - or till the cheese starts to melt.
11. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
12. Serves 4.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.